Starting a keto diet can be daunting. There are so many things to learn and understand. Many quit before they even begun, mostly due to the confusion of what you should and shouldn’t do.
It doesn’t have to be this complicated. A keto diet is easier than you think, especially if you keep these top tips in mind:
- Drink plenty of water. Especially as you start and your body goes into ‘keto flu’ you’ll find you’re using the bathroom a lot more often. Drinking plenty of water will help to keep you hydrated.
- Add salt. Too often salt gets a bad rap for other health issues, but your body requires a certain amount of salt to function properly. When your body is in ketosis, you’re going to be losing a lot more salt when you use the bathroom, so be sure to replenish it to avoid electrolyte imbalance.
- Measure your ketones. Speaking of being in the bathroom, you’re going to want to measure your progress. Using keto sticks help you track where you are in ketosis. The good news? The sticks are pretty inexpensive and are certainly easy to use.
- Decrease stress. This one should go without saying just because it’s good for you no matter what. But did you know the body in stress produces extra sugar? This could hurt your ability to enter ketosis. To truly succeed at this, you first need to RELAX.
- Get some sleep. Going hand in hand with stress comes sleep. Again, the body that’s not well-rested is going to have the same problems as a body that’s stressed out. A regular sleep schedule will do wonders in regards to your keto success.
- Exercise. It makes sense that exercise burns a variety of energy – including the glucose in your body. Exercising then gets rid of those stores quicker, putting your body into the keto state that much faster. If you want to jump-start your progress then, exercise is vital to your success.
- Batch cook – and plan your menus. Trying to figure out what to eat from day to day will be the biggest challenge. But being able to go to the fridge or freezer and grab a meal to reheat, is not only a time-saver but will keep you from falling off the diet. Planning what you’re going to eat tomorrow will make tomorrow that much easier. So take some time to first make a plan, and then put it into practice by laying aside everything you need for the coming week. Your body will thank you!
- When eating carbs – choose those from vegetable sources. You’ll not only feel full but more satisfied when eating carbs from a healthy source.
- Pay attention to your supplements. MCT oil and exogenous ketones will both keep your body functioning at optimal levels – and be a little more forgiving by keeping your body in ketosis even if you screw up and eat something you shouldn’t.
- Invest in a food scale – and pay attention to both carbs and calories when using it to measure out portions. This will keep you from going off track, especially when you’re just starting out and not quite used to ‘eyeballing’ portion sizes.
With these quick tips, you’ll not only stay on track but find that it’s much easier to manage a Keto diet than you ever thought possible. You really can succeed at losing weight and feeling better if you use all the tools you have at your disposal!